Monday, February 12, 2007

Multiple Sclerosis

My name is Darlene Sweigard - age 51. In 1990, I was diagnosed with Multiple Sclerosis. At that time, my balance was very poor, and I seemed to be tripping and falling a lot. I was also extremely fatigued to the point of exhaustion. My symptoms gradually progressed, and it became obvious that something was very wrong. I could not stand nor walk without assistance.Ten years prior to 1990, I had had similar symptoms and was admitted to the hospital where a spinal tap was done. MRI technology was not yet available. The diagnosis given me was that perhaps an unnamed virus had invaded the fluid in my brain and was affecting the nerve endings, resulting in the symptoms I had been experiencing. After many days of constant sleep, I gradually improved and returned to work.My job was in Human Resources at a large corporate company where I had been working since 1973. The job was extremely stressful. It was my responsibility to take care of approximately nine hundred to twelve hundred employees. I was involved in all hiring, benefit concerns, disciplinary actions, employee relations, management relations, etc. I was unable to work longer than a few months before another exacerbated flare-up would begin.In 1992, I was diagnosed with breast cancer, which involved surgery and six months of chemotherapy. I once again returned to work only to last for two or three months. Over the next four or five years, many MS flare-ups took place. Some of my symptoms were: slurred speech, dropped foot, numbness, needle-feeling, loss of handwriting ability, bladder problems, loss of flexibility/mobility, and some blurriness in vision. In approximately eight months to a year, I was in a wheelchair, then upgraded to a walker, then a cane.Sometime in 1997, my doctor told me that if I ever wanted to have good quality of life, I would have to stop working. This was devastating to me since I was a very career oriented person. I had always been very involved in music at my church, and was, in fact our music director. Due to my debilitating symptoms I had to give that up. I knew that it was only a matter of time until I had to give up my job, as well. I have never been bitter
about my illness and have always known that God had a reason for choosing me to have MS - if only to make me a bigger person and perhaps to help inspire someone else who is suffering the same illness.In 1998, I did stop working and over the next one to two years improved so that I used my cane only occasionally. My legs were still very stiff from spasticity and my balance was still very bad. At that time, I was taking approximately twelve to fourteen different prescription drugs, including Betaseron injections (approved by the FDA in 1995). In May of 2000, I attended a "ladies-night-out" at our local YMCA. It was there that I was introduced to the Health & Nutrition products of Market America. I was told about
OPC-3 and the other products also in the Isotonic formulation. Within a week or so, I started taking three capfuls of OPC-3 on a daily basis. Two weeks later, I learned, through reading and research, that Co-Enzyme Q-10 was especially important for MS sufferers. So, in addition to the OPC-3, I started taking one capful of Co-Enzyme Q-10 and one capful of B-12, which, I knew, would benefit my weakened energy level.When my husband began to see a difference in my balance, flexibility, and mobility, I knew that I wanted to know more about Market America. One day I ventured up into our attic on my own, and my husband was amazed. I knew I felt better, but it was difficult to verbalize. Then one day, I took a very deep breath and felt as though I had filled up with oxygen from head to toe. That was such a good feeling. I felt in control, and I wasn't swaying the way I had been the night I was introduced to Market America by Suzanne Jones and Tony Edwards. They told me later that they had been concerned that night that I might fall because I had been swaying so badly.In June of 2000, my husband, John, and I became Independent Distributors of Market America products and began our own UnFranchise business partnered with Market America. I continued taking three caps of OPC-3. Had I known then what I know now, I probably would have started with at least five or six caps daily - perhaps three in the a.m. and three in the p.m. prior to the evening meal. This would have been an effort to saturate my system to more quickly flush out the toxin buildup and promote a quicker response towards seeing improvement. I continued with one cap CO Q-10, one cap B-12, one cap vitamin C, and one cap Multi Tech - all products of Market America in Isotonic form. After further research, I learned that calcium was very good for muscles, and started taking three caps of calcium per day. About that time was when I started weaning myself off of my oral prescription drugs. My doctor said only - "Whatever you are doing, just keep doing it, and don't stop because you are the strongest I have ever seen you." Since adding calcium, the stiffness and cramping in my legs was eliminated after about 6 weeks. In addition, I am taking one cap Mineral Blast and Digestive Enzymes also in Isotonic form. I feel the best and the healthiest I have ever felt - since even before being diagnosed with MS.During these years, I also had acid reflux and was taking two Prilosec a day. The doctor I was seeing for the reflux told me that I had developed a grandaloma on my esophagus. The acid had actually burned a hole in my throat. When I heard that Prilosec could damage my liver, I began taking the Ultimate Aloe drink (Apple/Cranberry flavor) three to six ounces a day. In a few weeks, my reflux problem was taken care of.Since that time, many blessings have come my way - the biggest one being that I now know that my purpose in having MS is being fulfilled through the vehicle of these great nutritional products to be shared with others whose paths I cross. When a person has been robbed of her health and independence, she quickly knows how to appreciate and recognize that life is short and, most of all, every second of it is very precious. So I salute Market America and these great products, and thank them for my newfound quality of life - my physical independence - and for the opportunity to pass on to others the hope for better optimal health and prosperity through products that do what my friends at Market America say they will do.

No comments: